Thursday, November 3, 2011

Check This Out!

Hello Again!

I got the opportunity to go to the Math AddVantageMR class this past week and saw the best idea!  All you need are shoestrings, pony beads, brass rings, and some time to make them.  These laces have 100 beads on them in groups of ten of two alternating colors.  You can work on adding groups of ten, counting tens and leftovers (ones), and recognizing groups of five with these laces.  Here is a picture of the items you need.




I went to The Dollar Store and paid $2.00 for 2 packs of 8 pair (32 total laces).  They are of different lengths, but for $2 I can live with it.  For the beads I went to Walmart and bought the 2300 piece pack that has three different tints of each color.  Binder rings are at Walmart also.

Here is a picture of the final product:  The strings are in a line rather than tied in a circle. I just wanted to fit it all in one picture.





Tie a brass ring at the end the shoestring.  Each color bead you choose will need to have 5 of one tint of a color and five of another tint of that same color to make 10.  Then do the same with another color.  Once you get to 100 then tie the other brass ring on the loose end.

I thought I would try these in place of the 100 links needed in Unit 6.  Other quick activities would be to play a "show me" game where I pick a number and then can see if they are counting tens or ones.  Please share any other activities you use with these if you choose to make them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment