Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Unit 5 MTB Extension Activities

Oh my!  I am so sorry that the activities I originally sent for Unit 5 did not work.  Hopefully these activities are better.  I linked a web address that worked many times when I tried.  The directions are on the activities.  This link has four different activities that work on place value.  I did not have these activities originally, but once I got to my tenth attempt to link them unsuccessfully I gave up.  Just click on the link and it should come right up.

place_valuegame 2.pdf



10s Go Fish - This game is played just like "Go Fish." Instead of asking for a card to match your card, you have to ask for a card that would add with one of your cards to make a sum of 10. I introduced the game with out class 4th Grade buddies, but it was still really difficult. So I made up this little cheat sheet to show that combos that make 10. I laminated them to use again and again. 

Click here for the 10s Go Fish Cheat Sheet.


Race to Ten - This game needs the add or subtract spinner. The kids roll a die and spin the spinner. They add or subtract that many cubes to their board. They try to get exactly 10 cubes on the board. If they go over 10 they take a second board. (I tell them no more than 2 boards.)




Here are the number sense activities that I have for this week:


Race to Trace Addition -  Race to Trace is where the kids have to use 2 dice and add them up. If you want to kids to work on "counting on" use 1 numeral die and 1 dot die. Have them say the numeral first and then add on the dots.


Race to 20 or Race to 50 - The kids play these games using seasonal candies or any other object. You can do "Race to 20" early in the year and then move to "Race to 50" after January. The kids roll 1 die, count out that many candies in a pile and then add them to the board saying the numbers as they place them in the square.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment