Thursday, January 19, 2012

Math Centers- Week One

Well I finished up one week of my new math centers and I thought I would report how everything went. 

I put my students in groups so that I had at least one high, middle, and lower student in each group.  This is so when I pull them at my center the other groups are not as large.  It seemed to go well so far.  Here is an example of what activities I am doing.  I also send home weekly math activities so I may have the center activities be older math homework so it will be less prep.  Even if I don't double dip the prep is very minor compared to me making 5 different centers every other week.  Once again, I am only taking 10-15 minutes three times a week with these centers. 

Math Center Lesson Plan for
Week of Jan. 16-20

#1
Discover
Pattern Blocks- guided discovery using pattern blocks. 
#2
Teach Me
Problem solving –join change unknown problem type or fact strategies.
#3
Time Myself
Timing counting by 1’s, 5’s, 10’s forward and backwards using stopwatches.  They time themselves three times.
#4
Center #1
Race to 200 game.  They have a 100’s chart that starts at 101-200.  Roll one die and cross off squares until one person gets to 200.
#5
Center #2
Number Order- cut and organize mixed up numbers from 99-120.
#6
Mrs. P
*math fact strategies- +0, -0, +1, -1 review. 

Notes:  All groups will go 10-15 minutes.  All activities are in numbered bins and ready to go so the set-up and cleaning up is very quick. 

Here are the "Teach Me" problems that they will solve and teach each other:
Teaching Station:
Solve the following problems two different ways:
Jon had 4 fish in a tank.  His mom told him to buy some more.  He now has 9 fish in the tank.  How many fish did he buy? 
1.      Show a picture
2.     Show a number sentence
3.      Explain your thinking
4.      Ask for any questions

Jen saw 14 ducks in the pond.  Some of the ducks left the pond.  Now there are 6 ducks in the pond.  How many ducks left the pond? 
1.  Show a picture
2.  Show a number sentence
3.  Explain your thinking
4.  Ask for any questions


Bill and Jill had a birthday party.  Bill invited 7 boys and Jill invited 6 girls.  How many kids were at the party?
1.  Show a picture
2.  Show a number sentence
3.  Explain your thinking
4.  Ask for any questions
Tell your partner how you solve these problems:

10+4=

139+1=
100+23=
5+6=

6+2=
10+11=
7+1=

10+5=
3+4=
9+1=

20+30=
16+1=
3+0=

50+7=
12+2=


Here are the timing myself activities- I borrowed the stopwatches from our PE teacher-
Timing Myself- Time yourself three times and record to see if you are faster!

1.  Time yourself counting by ones as fast as you can in 30 seconds. 
- I got to number ___________           ____________        ___________

2.  Time yourself counting by 5’s as fast as you can in 20 seconds.
- I got to number ___________           ____________        ___________

3.  Time yourself counting by 10’s as fast as you can in 20 seconds.
- I got to number ___________           ____________        ___________

4.  Time yourself counting by 10’s backwards from 100-0 as fast as you can. 
My time was ___________   ____________        ___________

5.  Time yourself counting backwards by ones from 100-0 as fast as you can.
My time was ___________   ____________        ___________

6.  Time yourself counting backwards by 5’s from 100-0 as fast as you can.
My time was ___________   ____________        ___________         

If you would like the race to 200 game or the number order sheet please email me and I will get you a copy if these links do not work. 
Both the 99-120 number order and the race to 200 template was created by katie King.
Number order

Race to 200

Please feel free to give me feedback if this blog is still helpful to you.  tparker@ecasd.k12.wi.us  Thanks!!  If you do like the centers I will have no problem posting my lesson plans and activities for you to use and enjoy. 

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment