Thursday, February 2, 2012

Common Core Standards

Hi Everyone! 

I am late covering the concept of equality with my students this year because of my maternity leave so today was the day.  I asked them to answer the question: True or False 3=3.  When they came into the room they had to write either true or false by their name.  I took a picture so you could see the results first hand, but once again I can't get it posted.  Basically 19 students wrote false and only one wrote true.  Until I started doing this activity a few years ago I assumed that all my students understood equality and the equal sign.  The truth is that they do not!!  So I went through the lesson whole group about balance and "same as" and there still are some students that struggle with the concept, especially when I started challenging them with problems 4+1=3+2 or 3+3=7-1.  The majority caught on pretty quick, but I know I need to keep reviewing. 


Math Center Lesson Plan for
Week of Jan. 30 - Feb.3
#1
Center
Spin to Win- Race to 120 (1.NBT.1)
#2
Teach Me
JCU AND SCU CGI problems- (1.OA.1)
#3
Time Myself
1.NBT.1- Counting as fast as they can in 30 sec. forwards and backwards by 1’s, 5’s, and 10’s
#4
Center
Placing random numbers on an empty number line. (1.NBT.1)
#5
Discover
TILES  (measuring area of shapes)– (1.G.1)
#6
Math fact
Students are timing each other going through a list of 10 -0 and 10 -1 facts and recording their times.

Notes:  I am taking this week to assess all students one on one to determine how they are solving their addition problems.  (do they count on, use fingers, know doubles, doubles plus one, and so on).  From these results I will then create pull-out groups to work on their skills.


As I go through the third week of my math centers I am noticing that this is easier to prep than I thought.  Instead of changing the counting as fast as they can I am leaving it in for one more week because they are loving it and it is always good to practice both forwards and backwards counting. 


With the 100th day coming up here are some resources I plan on doing that week:

- Race to 100 game- print off a 100 chart (or a blank one and have them fill in the numbers if you want to assess them!), give each pair a die, and take turns rolling and adding on from 0 based on the number rolled.


Number order 99-120   - This sheet is challenging for some due to the font from "Babbling Abby's" Website where I found this resource.  I am planning to re-create a document similar with better font.


One hundred days ago I could not.pdf   This activity is not math, but I thought I would share.  I plan to create a class book. 


Equal or Not Equal  






I created this equality sheet to check for understanding after the initial lesson I did with my kids. 



Once again I will try to post more activities as I find them. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment